Thanks Shelly and Andy. :)

Shelly, that was a misnomer or mis-type. I followed the article and
added the stylesheets to the head of the document after the global
stylesheet. I have also seen conditionals in css, although I can't
find the link at the moment. I just wasn't sure which is the most
acceptable or more commonly used approach. Yes, this is an older
post. Maybe I need to try it again or read up more.

I also noticed the use of lt and lte. Andy's link mentioned these
mean 'less than' and 'less than or equal to'. I'm guessing an
evaluation done in by the browser to determine if the browser version
is less than the specified version. I wasn't aware that IE supported
this. Are there other supported conditional statements that I'm
unaware of or are they all IE related? Is it just unrecognized in
other browsers and ignored, or it is recognized and evaluated false?
To clarify my question...Andy mentioned MSDN, is this cross-browser
compatible or does IE just recognize the conditionals?

I want to move away from hacks but I also want to understand how the
conditional statements are implemented. Is this part of the W3C
standard or is this something implemented by a particular vendor
(Microsoft)?

While reading on CSS3, I see that it might support conditionals and
regexs but I also realize it'll probably be a very, very long time
before seeing support for this.

Can you guys provide any working examples I can look at?

Thanks in advance,

Diona