I'm using the <button> tag to submit a form as I have text formatting
using CS that needs to be done inside the button:

<button name="submit1"
         type="submit"
         id="submit1"
         value="action1">
Button text<br>like this
</button>

Here's the problem - IE and Firefox see DIFFERENT values passed when the
button is clicked!

When the form is submitted using the button above
"action1" is passed along in Firefox
"Button text<br>like this" is passed in IE

How do I get the button (actually, 7 of them calling different actions)
to submit the form and pass the same value in all browsers?

In fact - it looks like the values for all 6 buttons are passed in IE,
not just the single button clicked.

I can't use a regular <input type="submit"> because of the needed text
formatting.

Ideas?