Suzanne Bernard wrote:
> The navigation buttons on my website (http://www.nycss.org) are
> styled on http://www.nycss.org/stylesmain.css, under the class
> "navbuttons." So they should look the same on every page, right?  But
>  in IE6 on http://www.nycss.org/join.html, they're spaced further
> apart than on the other pages (example:
> http://www.nycss.org/index.html). Why?

Some of your pages are triggering standard mode, while some leave the
browsers in quirks mode (the old rendering modes from before any
standards existed). Plenty of differences between those rendering modes,
and there are a number of quirks modes.

Solution: put an identical *and* complete doctype declaration in your
pages. That is: trigger standard mode across browser-land.
That will even out most variations. I'll recommend HTML 4.01 Strict.

Ref:
<http://gutfeldt.ch/matthias/articles/doctypeswitch/table.html>
<http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html>

Also, try to write the source-code in accordance with the chosen
standard, as results like these...
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.nycss.org/>
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.nycss.org/join.html>
...makes the whole thing a gamble in error-recovery across browser-land.

> Also, in Firefox 2.0, they're spaced further apart on all the pages
> than in IE. How do I get them closer together in Firefox?

You're relying on font-size/line-height and fix-sized backgrounds, which
is not a reliable solution when it comes to consistent spacing and look.

Be that as it may; you'll get better results once the doctype-issue is
fixed.

> And finally, one more Firefox issue: on
> http://www.nycss.org/links.html, I want the list items in the table
> (id="linkstable") to line up with the heading rather than being
> indented. I've managed to make these lists look the way I want in IE,
>  but not in Firefox.

Firefox has default paddings on lists while IE use margins, so you
should add...
#linkstable ul {padding: 0;}
...to get the result you want.

regards