Gate Wizard wrote:
> Currently our project uses 1 "main.css" which is getting to be quite large.
> Project: http://forums.ikonforums.com/
>
> I have thought about splitting it into "sections"
>
> example:
> /* main.css */
>
> /* <![CDATA[ */
>
>       @import url(style.css);
>
>       @import url(structure.css);
>
> /* ]]> */
>
> /* End main.css */
>

> My question is this:
> would splitting the css into smaller, more manageable files cause excessive
> load on browser rendering,
> or have other unwanted "side-effects" ?
>
> The reason behind splitting the css is for the user's ability to customize
> the skin (background gradients and colors)
> by changing properties in "style.css" while maintaining overall structure.
>
> Advise appreciated.
> Thank you in advance for all replies.
> -G7W

There is some information about this topic in our wiki.
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=MaintainableCss

Although maintainance benefits are more important, you can check the
speed in the new firebug extension for firefox. Choose "Net"+"All" or
"Net"+ CSS to see the effect [2], if any, in the timeline.

HTH

Ingo

[1] http://www.getfirebug.com/
[2] http://www.getfirebug.com/net.html