Alex, Georg, you saved my life.

I had tried individually applying hasLayout to the field to no effect,
and thought that since the text right next to it (in fact it was
possible to click within the field but only on the left-most 1px) and
the other inputs were completely mouse-interactive, it couldn't be the
case of a higher or adjacent object's lack of hasLayout.

 > 2. position:relative has been declared on some ancestor element and
 > unless pos:rel is applied to some intermediate ancestor, IE hust won't
 > play ball

I did not know this. Very useful information.

Cheers,
Barney