Barney Carroll wrote:
> I have an object of indeterminate height whose lower right-hand
> corner needs to have a little background icon.
>
> The object is a list item and can have one two or three lines of
> text, and the image is a single non-repeating arrow - ideally I would
>  like to specify the distance between its bottom and the li bottom,
> its right from the li right.
>
> Am I right in thinking this is impossible?

Don't think so.
Without seeing the actual case...
...adding a bit of padding on the object, and use 'background-position:
100% 100%' (or another suitable value) for the background icon, is what
I usually do.
May end up being slightly more complex than that - depending on your
existing list-styling/layout, but it sure is possible.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no