Thank you, David. That did the trick. I posted a view of what you suggested
at: http://advancewm.com/test_menu.htm

The essential parts were:

#leftnav3 ul ul {
        margin: 1px 0;
        background: url(/s5/left-nav-bar.gif) repeat-y top left;
        padding: 1px 0;
        list-style: none;
}

#leftnav3 ul ul li {
        margin: 0;
        padding: 0;
        background-color: #fff;
        display: block;
}

The display:block allowed the white background of the LI to cover the UL's
background image.

Best regards -- Tony