[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> - The first is of the general kind: Can anyone explain why when I'm
> specifying a height of 100% for the div without any content in a TD that
> has a height > 0, why then the height of the div becomes 0. I was under
> the impression that it should have the height of its containing block,
> in this case of the TD. However, as in both IE7 and Firefox in stric
> mode both boxes have 0 height, so I guess it is meant to be like this.
> Can anyone point me how this is explained. Also and this is my problem,
> how can I force the box to have the height of the cell? (See below HTML
> table 1)

But, your td does *not* have a height > 0. That is, it doesn't have any
assigned height at all. Yes, it has a computed height, as every element
does, but percentage heights are based off of the assigned heights of
their ancestors. Without a height assigned to the td, a nested div
inside with a percentage height is just going to collapse.

> - If I insert a second div inside the first one, both boxes have a
> height of 0 in both browsers. However, if I assign any height in
> percentage to the inner div, IE7 will expand the height to 100% of the
> table.. Not only does it  look at its ancestor's ancestor for the height
> (I guess this is along the line that is described in
> http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/percentages.html) but it
> also does not even take the percentage in account. I guess this is a
> bug? See below HTML table 2)

Yes, a bug. Again, assigning explicit heights will help you here.

Zoe

--
Zoe M. Gillenwater
Design Services Manager