Coral S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the group, so hello to everyone.
>
> I recently came across this wonderful horizontal drop-down menu
> http://www.sperling.com/examples/menuh/ by Ted Sperling, and was attempting
> to alter it a bit to allow for rollover images instead of simply colors.
> What I have so far works wonderfully in all browsers except IE6.  The issue
> in IE6 is that the parent (menuh a.parent) and top-parent (menuh
> a.top_parent) div images show up only in the hover state (I changed the
> original code so that menuh a.top_parent and menuh a.top_parent:hover are
> separate images), and for some reason they are hidden underneath the menuh
> (menuh a) image in the rested state.  In IE7, FF, Opera etc it all works
> great, but for some reason it's stubborn in IE6.  The link to it is here:
>
> http://www.swanflighthaven.com/Summer_Breeze/dropdownmenu%20test.html
>
> http://www.swanflighthaven.com/Summer_Breeze/dropdown%20menu.css
>

> The screenshots for the comparison between IE6 and IE7 are here:
>
> http://www.swanflighthaven.com/Summer_Breeze/menu.html
>
> I emailed Ted about this and he suggested assigning height values or
> z-indexes to get IE6 to put the parent and top-parent background images on
> top, but I tried it to no avail (admittedly I may not be doing that
> correctly).  He also suggested you fine people if I continued to have
> trouble.  Any help you could offer on this issue would be greatly
> appreciated.  Please let me know if I should clarify anything.
>
> Regards,
> Coral

I think that you're running into a mysterious class bug in IE6 that was
discussed here a while back. When you assign a style to some set of tags
and then give some of the tags a class so that you can alter that style,
IE6 freaks out and rejects the class all together. I'm not sure if IE6
does this universally or just when it feels like it, but I had the same
problem as you. To fix it, in the CSS file, instead of referring to them
"#menuh a.parent" and "#menuh a.top_parent", refer to them as
"#menuh-container a.parent" and "#menuh-container a.top_parent" (i.e.,
use the parent div).

I think that others have had success by just referring to the tag names
plus class names and leaving out the container div, but I haven't tried
that.

Good luck!
Brian

--