IE doesn't get thrown into quirks mode just becuase it finds some tag soup
in the body. The switch is in the <!DOCTYPE (or lack of it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirks_mode#Triggering_different_rendering_modes

Chris

On 1/26/07, james shannon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd imagine Andy meant that IE won't internally be able validate it
> (because it "sees through" the comments to something that's invalid)
> -- thus IE will degrade to quirks mode and a lot of other things you
> had designed under the assumption that IE would be in standards mode
> will be "off".
>
> james
>

> On Jan 25, 2007, at 3:53 PM, muskokee wrote:
>
> > Hmm.  When I use the validation tools, the xhtml (strict) validates
> > and the
> > css would validate (except for the "hand" cursor property which
> > doesn't
> > exist) in firefox 2.0, 1e6 and ie7.

> >> This is a surprising solution!  I personally wouldn't use it since
> >> the
> >> conditional comments make the HTML invalid when using IE --
> >> there's tables
> >> inside hyperlinks -- hence it's forced into quirks mode.
> >>
> >> Andy

Chris Ovenden

http://thepeer.blogspot.com
"Imagine all the people / Sharing all the world"