Douglas Fraser wrote:
> I have a set of the links the client wants displayed in a grid
> format.  Using a table is the obvious solution, even if it's not "the
> correct thing to do" presentation wise.   The issue is that they want
> the text of the links to turn bold as the mouse hovers over them.
> Ok, that's all fine, but the problem is the table cell gets resized
> width-wise and so the other columns shift around.  That looks bad....
>
> Browsers don't do dynamic padding / margins, table cells can't take a
> max-width....   Using a table does not look like the right thing to
> do.  I can make this grid using all divs - using all divs solves the
> problem of things shifting around - and positioning them nicely with
> PHP based logic (using the less supported display: properties is not
> an option (IE...)) but the problem is the width of the text / # of
> characters in a link is all different, so I can not easily make the
> columns to be spaced out nicely like when a table is used.
>
> I could write some javascript to get the browser to calculate the
> ultimate max width of a column and thus shift things around on page
> load to space out columns in a regular fashion, but if there is an
> easier way...   I have not tried table-layout:fixed yet, but I
> suspect that won't help as the client would like no forced breaks in
> the text (e.g. this-is-a-really-long-link not get broken in the
> middle due to a fixed width column).  And the number of columns may
> differ from page to page...   And would table-layout prevent the
> cell/table from getting redrawn / expanded anyways?

Hi Doug,

We can't suggest a good solution without seeing what you are trying to
do as well as what you've already tried. Please post a URL to a live
page. You can strip out identifying information if necessary.

Also, to start a new thread, do not reply to an existing message. When
you do this,
your message gets threaded on to the old thread, which messes up the
archives
and makes it less likely that others will see your message and subsequently
reply to you. You must send a new message with an appropriate and
descriptive
subject line to css-d@lists.css-discuss.org in order to start a new thread.

Thank you for your cooperation and participation.

Zoe M. Gillenwater
css-d list moderator