At 2/8/2007 03:25 PM, Seona Bellamy wrote:
>Creating a sitemap for a client and what they want is for the list to be as
>follows:
>
>01. Section 1
>   -  Sub-page
>   -  Sub-page
>02. Section 2
>   -  Sub-page
>   -  Sub-page
>   -  Sub-page
>   -  Sub-page
>03. Section 3
>   -  Sub-page
>   -  Sub-page
>etc...
>
>However, they also want ti split over two columns so that it doesn't end up
>just scrolling forever. Fair enough. However, since this is to plug into
>their CMS, I need to allow for a variable number of sections and sub-pages.
>
>I've had a search around, but so far all the examples I'm finding require
>knowing how many items are in each column or the height of each column. I
>have no way of knowing either.
>
>Is there a way of doing this that will allow the columns to stay more or
>less equal regrdless of how many items there are?

Hi Seona,

You probably do need scripting to accomlish this today.  Although you
can't predict the number of list items, a script can count them on
the fly and shape the list accordingly.

Although my first choice would be server-side scripting, you can also
do it with Javascript if you don't mind the layout breaking when
scripting is disabled.  I would limit the script to plugging in ids
or classes and let CSS handle the positioning.

One method I like is to move the first item you want in column 2 up
with a negative margin-top, and shift all items in column 2 over with
positive margin-lefts.  This lets the list flow normally as much as
possible and avoids browser-related bugs that affect other CSS-based methods.

See example 6 in my ALA article on the subject:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/multicolumnlists/
In these examples I show the list heavily marked up with class
names.  Of course these can be inserted on the fly and needn't be a
part of your original markup.

In your scripting logic I imagine you'll want to decide how to handle
widows & orphans so you don't strand a section title at the bottom of
column1 or the last item of a section at the top of column 2.

Regards,

Paul