On Feb 12, 2007, at 8:47 AM, hiptojive @hotmail.com wrote:

> In regards to my scrollbar issue. I do not want a horizontal bar to
> appear
> on the bottom, so in trying to figure out a way of eliminating it
> from the
> bottom, I discovered this solution:
>
> overflow-x: hidden;
> overflow-y: auto;
>
> Is there a CSS compliant way of handling this?  and one that is
> compatible
> with Safari?

overflow-x:hidden;
overflow-y:auto;
is **perfectly valid CSS 3**.

But it is not supported by Safari 2.0 and older, and Opera 9.1 and
older.
Firefox supports it since version 1.5

The way to solve your this:
1/ if CSS2.1 validation is important or required, use
'overflow:auto'. A horizontal scrollbar will only be triggered if
there is very long content that doesn't fit in the content. Except in
iExploder, that is [1].

2/ else: write it out this way:
overflow:auto;
overflow-x:hidden;
overflow-y:auto;

Browsers that do not understand the 'overflow-x:hidden;overflow-
y:auto;' will still have the first declaration to work with. And
you'll still have a perfectly valid CSS 3 style sheet.

[1] iExploder will show a ghost horizontal scrollbar anyway. If CSS
2.1 validation is important, use a Conditional Comment to serve the
'overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:auto;' to that browser.

BTW if CSS 2.1 validation is important, please remove that ugly
scrollbar-base-color, etc.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh