If you save out the following code and view locally, you'll see in Firefox a min-width (red border) on certain <li class="userchoices"> bullets. This is what I'm after. If you open in IE 6, that min-width is not recognized.

Is there a way to have min-width in IE 6 without resorting to basically doing the horizontal list in divs with specific widths applied? The min-widths need to be empty/blank/specific width, until they're populated by the user. Any value that is returned that is longer than the width will be truncated.

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>

<head>

<!--
ul#excel_legend {
        padding-top:7px;
        padding-left:4px;
        margin:0;
        float:left;
}

ul#excel_legend li {
        display:block;
        float:left;
        color:#666;
        font-size:12px;
}

ul#excel_legend li.userchoices {
        font-weight:bold;
        font-style:normal;
        color:#000;
        display:block;
        float:left;
        margin-right:10px;
        padding:0;
        border:1px solid red;
        min-width:130px;
}
-->

</head>

<ul id="excel_legend">
   <li>Legend:</li>
   <li class="userchoices"><!--2006 Fee Schedule--></li>

   <li>Legend:</li>
   <li class="userchoices">A-Z Community Biz</li>

   <li>Legend:</li>
   <li class="userchoices">1/1/05 - 1/1/06</li>

   <li>Legend:</li>
   <li class="userchoices">My New Temp</li>
</ul>