Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:
>
>> I have moved leftcolumn into the bottom of contentwrapper, but the
>> source-order is otherwise the same and nothing is added or
>> subtracted...
>> <http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/Zoe/test_2882.html>
>> ...so, maybe it'll do.
>>
>> How is IE7 doing, btw? (I really dislike "blind hacking".)
>>

> I use basically the same technique on a couple of sites. Holds well
> in iExploder 7.

The technique I use is exactly the same, except I use a margin on the
container div instead of padding. Padding is better because that way you
don't need to add yet another container div if you want a background
(especially faux column one) behind the columns. This holds up well in
IE7 and IE6 with no problems that I've seen. I think I shall switch to
it. Thanks!

> One note though; the wrapper should have position relative as well.
> I've seen the sidebar jumping to the centre in IE when resizing.

I'm not seeing it on Georg's demo page, but I have seen such a thing on
more complex pages I've made with my similar method. So yes, it's
probably safest to include it.

> For the large image (applies to IE6 on narrow windows) I wrap the
> image in a box:
> .img {margin:0 -200px 0 0; position:relative; height:0;}
> /* right margin equivalent to size of sidebar */

I'm not seeing the need for this -- the layout holds together fine in
narrow windows for me. What is this supposed to do?

By the way, do any of you think we're ready to start using display:
table layouts, and just feed IE the alternate CSS for these negative
margin layouts? I've written article about it, but I haven't ever used
it for a real site. I'm getting ready to complete rebuild two big sites
that will probably not get rebuilt for several years after this, so I
want to choose my layout method wisely.

Thanks,
Zoe

--