Beth Lee wrote:

> [...] And now, thanks to you and the various articles I've read on
> the Internet about the subject, I have a better idea about doctypes
> and the serving of those doctypes.

That's good. Keep on studying.

>>> <http://www.callibeth.com/dev2/index.htm>

> [...] But there's extra space below the vertical lines now within the
>  navigation bar, in IE5 only. Any ideas on how to fix this -- it's
> the broken box model again, right? -- or even *whether* to fix this?
> How pernickety to be about styling in older browers?

IE6 and IE7 will add the same space - when in "quirks mode". So it _is_
part of Microsoft's old IE/win-standard.

IMO, you should not be too obsessed with details in any browser - old or
new. It just has too "look just fine" in each browser you choose to support.

Whether or not to "fix" things in older browser-versions depends largely
on the following factors.
1: if a significant number is still in general use.
2: if the old ones can be "fixed" without disturbing new versions and
other (better) browsers.
3: how much time you can, or want to, spend on older browsers.

Myself: I tend to reduce support for older versions after a few years,
*when* there are at least a couple of later (and hopefully improved)
versions of that particular browser available.
IE/win users have IE6 and IE7 available now, so IE5/win gets only the
very minimum of my attention - if/when I have time for it.

Having written all that ... the following CSS addition will probably fix
IE5/win well enough for comfort, without disturbing later versions...

* html ol#navlinks li {margin-bottom: -.5em;}

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no