Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2007/02/28 12:38 (GMT) Barney Carroll apparently typed:
>
>> At a certain
>> point, it is reasonable to run out of sympathy, budget and realistic
>> conception for user-end customisation.
>
> Heaven forbid that anyone should choose to _personalize_ their _Personal_
> Computer.

I think you misunderstand me, Felix. I have no problem with users making
any decisions about how they should modify what they're accessing. In
fact, I believe they should have even more modularity, and hope that the
evolution of XHTML will allow them far more than they have now.

However, I cannot be held responsible for all these customisations - I
cannot conceive of, nor test for, many of these. If I have catered for
problems by conceiving of certain CSS rules, and those rules are
overridden by the user, there isn't much I can do. I am sure you would
never tell a user they shouldn't be /allowed/ to implement a rule of
p{font-size: 20000px !important;}, but neither can you do anything about
it once they have decided on it, and in all likelihood it will render
all your work unusable.

In any case, I am implementing the off-page positioning technique as
suggested by Darren. Thanks all for your warnings.

@Nick:
Extra-browser interfaces have always been something I'd love to work on.
However, I'm perfectly confident I can ruin everybody's life using
nothing but visual presentation in my current domain (and I'm sure
plenty of list users will testify)!

Regards,
Barney