Hi Matt,

I think all the ideas you mentioned are things that you can just try
really easily...

On Mar 5, 2007, at 2:12 PM, Matthew Bernhardt wrote:

> a) Implement the background image via the background-image property -
> but
> I'm not sure how to get it to stretch as it does now?

Not sure about the "stretching" you're talking about, not sure why you
wouldn't just use background-image to begin with... I'm not doubting
that you have a good reason, I just don't get it :-)... If it were me,
the only way I'd have made that image content instead of background
would have been if I'd tried background-image first (which seems more
natural to me) and discovered that it didn't work for some reason...

> b) Turn off the translucency of the content/menu elements, and make
> them
> fully opaque - does having to calculate translucency slow a site's
> scrolling down?

Give it a try and find out!  It's just a couple of CSS rules, right?

> c) Abandon/combine some of the "position: fixed" elements so that more
> of
> the page scrolls - not sure if this will help at all, frankly

Try losing those other elements and see what happens... either throw
"display: none" on them, or delete 'em from the markup.

> d) Switch the menu system to a more semantically-correct text list,
> rather
> than the image-based list that it uses currently. This will be quite a
> struggle with the designers where I work,

Bummer, they are married to that old-school Crapweaver image-swapping
menu script generator, huh?  I could halfway understand that if the
images were decent, then at least it would be using something crappy to
get something that looks good, but... IMNSVHO, the text in those images
is pixelly and crappy-looking (could the designers not figure out how
to turn antialising on, or was it actually made to look that way on
purpose?)  They're using something crappy to get something
crappy-looking, so there isn't even a good excuse.  More to the point,
the image-swapping is unnecessary.  Both of the hover effects — the
text color change, and the appearing arrow — are
cross-browser-achievable using only CSS.

> but if necessary I can try to
> make the case on performance issues - if it will actually help (will
> it?)

No :-(.  Not w.r.t. your scrolling issues.  However, it should perk up
page load times, especially on the first page load where you currently
are loading all those navmenu images into the browser cache... and also
from the standpoint of lighter markup for the browser to deal with.

That said, you can always try just deleting the navmenu and seeing if
it does improve your scrolling performance.  I don't think it will,
though.

Good luck, hopefully someone can help you get the scrolling issue
figured out... but if not, and you end up figuring it out yourself, I
hope you tell us what the cause/fix was, 'cause I'm curious :-)

cheers,
—ml—