At 5:36 PM +0000 3/8/07, Alex Robinson wrote:

>I beg to differ. However, until Eric shows up and says I was wrong,
>right or something in between, can people please not leap into this
>thread.

    Okay, I'm here.  Did I miss the finale?
    Sorry.
    So it's possible Alex overreacted, but then again, maybe not.  The
whole question teeters right on the knife-edge of markup practices
(which are not, by and large on topic) and approaches to styling
different types of markup (which by and large is on topic).  It's a
hard line to draw, and it wobbles a bit over time.  We try not to let
it stray too far, if for no other reason than what we've established
over the last five years has worked very, very well.
    So here's my attempt to split the difference: the thread's fine as
long as it concentrates on styling markup, and not on which markup
pattern is better than which other pattern nor on ever-complex ways
to convolute the markup.
    Sometimes we get a little bit overzealous defending the list's
charter, but it's because we want the list to continue living up to
its own high standards.  (Um, no pun intended.)  This may or may not
have been one of those times; if it was, my apologies.  We keep
learning as we go.

--
Eric A. Meyer (http://meyerweb.com/eric/), List Chaperone
"CSS is much too interesting and elegant to be not taken seriously."