On Mar 9, 2007, at 4:27 PM, Richard Brown wrote:

> The site is here:
> <http://www.stwinnowceschool.info/>
> <http://www.stwinnowceschool.info/wp-content/themes/school/style.css>
>
> I have used their method for introducing a background colour but have
> removed the footer. I didn't need one in the design. Is this likely to
> cause any problems with any browsers please?
I don't think so, although I haven't checked in IE 6.

> Also I have told the calendar to only be 60% width of the right column
> but it doesn't seem to matter whether I put 10% or 90%. How do I make
> it shrink so it isn't touching the edge of the right column please?
Make the column larger ? The table for the calendar can't shrink much
more, constrained by the contents. Remember, width for this kind of
tables is always more like min-width. The table sill expand to fit
the contents.

> And finally I have put an opacity in the right and left columns. What
> I didn't realise is that this would affect the text as well. Is there
> anyway of cancelling this out please?
No you can't; that is how opacity [1] works. It is applied to the
whole box and the contents of the box.
Opacity is _not_ 'transparent background'.
What you want is rgba or hsla [2] for the background-colour -
support: Safari 2.0 for rgba, future releases of Safari (3.0) and
Gecko based browsers (FX 3.0) for rgba and hsla. Maybe Konqueror
3.5.6, not sure.
Or use a semi-transparent background-image.

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#transparency>
[2] <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#numerical>

Philippe
---