On Mar 13, 2007, at 7:09 AM, francky wrote:

>> I'm working on my first elastic-layout site and Opera is giving me
>> something I've never seen before. In my <h1> declarations, I've added
>> border-bottom: 1px dotted {color} style. FF, IE 6/7, and Mozilla are
>> rendering correctly, but Opera is generating these huge colored
>> blocks
>> underneath my h1's.
>>
>> Does switching between em and px cause problems in Opera? The page
>> is a
>> protected area, but I've set-up the CSS here,
>> http://the1912gallery.ehc.edu/testcss.css.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jed
> Hi Jed,
> You have given also a border-width of 80%, and that is giving
> different
> interpretations by Opera and other browsers.
> I think the css2.1 specs aren't very clear at this point.

Under 8.5.4 Border shorthand properties:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#border-shorthand-properties
percentage values are mention explicitly.
'Percentages:   N/A'
Which is not the most clear formulation.
I think that this should be understood as 'does not apply' or
'undefined', as far as CSS 2.1 is concerned.

CSS3 border module is more explicit:
'Percentages:   width* of containing block'
<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-border/#the-border-width>

The width of the border should be computed based on the width of the
box, the same way as percentage based margins are computed.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com>