On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, David Agnew wrote:

> #containAbt .features li {
>  background-color: #F7EFD5;
> }
> /* darker shades for alternate li's */
> #containAbt .features li+li, #containAbt .features li+li+li+li,
> #containAbt .features li+li+li+li+li+li, #containAbt .features
> li+li+li+li+li+li+li+li{
>    background-color: #ebdab3;
> }
>
> the first list item gets the lighter color, and ALL OF THE REST get the
> darker shade

That's because e.g. the third list item also matches a selector like
li+li. It is a li element that follows a li element. Using contextual
selectors like li:first-child+li you could make the rule apply to even
items only, but I'd say it really gets more confusing than the use of
class attributes (even though it would be cleaner in principle to handle
this purely inside CSS, without "polluting" the markup with class
attributes that have no logical meaning).