francky wrote:
> Ingo Chao wrote:
>> This float is relatively positioned, it has a percentage width, and it
>> should move to the right due to a left margin.
>>
>> .c {
>>     position: relative;
>>     float: left;
>>     display: inline;
>>     width: 50%;
>>     margin-left: 100px;
>>     background: gray url(bg.gif) no-repeat 0 0;
>>     }

>>         &nbsp;
>>
>> The problem with IE<7 is that it does not move, initially.
>>
>> http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/prbgbug.html
>>
>> To make it move, the window has to be resized a little.
>>
>> The bug does not occur if the float has no background image attached.
>>
>> But I need the bg-img, the float, the pos.relative, the margin shift,
>> the percentage width (and display:inline is added to prevent the
>> doubled margin bug.)
>>
>> Can anyone help me, point me to a bug description, or to a fix maybe?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ingo
>>
> Hi Ingo,
> Yes, all hasLayout tricks failed; IE is always in for a joke! ;-)
> Seems something like the opposite of the doubled margin bug, or a
> peekaboo without a link to hover...
> I found as a fix: isolate the problem, i.e. pulling the background out
> of the class="c" div, and pushing it in an inner div.
>
>    testpage
>    <http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/test-prbgbug.html>
>
> Hope you can apply this wrapper in your case, and no other IE troubles
> will appear.

This fix does solve for the example, probably not for the original
problem, but I will try, thank you very much. It's a column, its height
is not easy to determine, and the proposed inner div would have to have
the same height ...

I'm already shifting the column by a .c{left: percentage value} offset.
The margin for the column is just a small negative backside margin to
compensate for rounding errors. The stuck and release of the small
correction was barely visible, but the column started in a dropped
position, and moved into place after a resize of the window. Took me
ages to stumble over the cause, the background image.

Another div for all columns just to compensate for a 1 pix rounding
problem ... sigh.

Ingo

--
http://www.satzansatz.de/css.html