Erik Visser wrote:

> This might be a slow road for really mastering webdevelopment (xhtml
> / css / etc.). But it makes it possible (in the time available to me)
> to better myself while developing websites for customers.
>
> Any thoughts from the "gurus" on this appproach?

I'm no "guru", but I think your approach is as good as any, mostly
because it seems to work for you. It is important to find ways that
work, or else one will never reach ones goals - whatever they are.

---

Myself: I start at (what seems to be) the other end, with the content in
need of a layout and a design for screens and/or whatever. The choice of
media matters, since I can't change the media - only the design as a
content-delivery layer. CSS comes handy since it is a flexible tool, but
it is important to understand each medium and how it is used (and/or
misused), so I spend some (precious) time on that.

I prefer to know (more or less) what I'm doing while I'm doing it, so I
don't build/add anything on top of other people's work unless I have
tested their work to destruction and know all about the strong and weak
points.
I then either recreate and improve on the borrowed creation until it
suits my and/or my client's needs, or I create something of my own from
scratch - maybe borrowing some ideas or solution-parts from others -
until it all works as intended. It is most often the latter.

---

This just to say that there are many routes one can follow i order to
reach ones goals. There are also many ways to measure and define ones
goals, so that we may all choose different routes doesn't surprise or
bother me. That I may sometimes comment in line with my own preferences,
should not surprise or bother anyone either.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no