I continue to try and find the best solution for aligning data in
large tables. A week or so ago Philippe suggested:

> td:first-child+td+td+td {text-align:right;} will select the 4th
> column in good browsers (including IE7).
> For IE 6, you need to use the col element.
> colgroup>
>
> col.alignRight {text-align:right;}

What I've discovered is that I can't be sure how many columns I'll
have (dynamically generated), which means that setting alignment by
column won't work consistently. So I'm now thinking that the only way
I can do this is to add a class to each cell based on data type -
something like <td class="date"> and <td class="percent"> <td
class="value">, and define the alignment for those classes... which
might also give me an added hook for adding additional visual cues to
distinguish different data.

Considering that I know what type of data it is and how I want each
type of data aligned (left, right or center), but I don't know which
column they'll appear in, is there a better, more efficient way?