Peter-Paul Koch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I talked to a web developer who passed me a technique for
> using semi-transparent PNGs as background images even in IE6 and
> lower. The technique works, up to a point. See my test page at
> http://www.quirksmode.org/css/png/png.html .
>
> I already had a private conversation with someone who knows this
> technique and drew my attention to a few bugs (can't use CSS height;
> links/form fields may become unclickable unless they have a z-index).

But when the box with the filter is positioned absolutely or relatively,
the fix is more complicated [1].

> Before continuing my investigation, though, I'd like to know whether
> this technique has already been described.
>
> Therefore my question is: can anyone point me to a page that explains
> the use of semi-transparent PNGs as background images in IE6 and lower
> through the MS-proprietary
> filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader declaration?

> Has anyone yet taken the logical step of writing a behavior.htc that
> incorporates this solution?

Maybe [2].

It would be nice to have a script that allows for tiling backgrounds, as
suggested by Paul [3].

You most probably have already looked into the IE7 code by Dean [4],
this links to another behavior [5]

Ingo

[1] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/tmp/alphatransparency.html
[2] http://bjorkoy.com/past/2007/4/8/the_easiest_way_to_png/