> I don't think there's anything you can do in the browser.
> Font smoothing is called the ClearType Tuning tool in Windows
> and it wasn't included automatically in IE 6 or Win XP.  It
> is included automatically with IE 7.  This affects the whole
> OS, not just the browser.  It's a utility you can run to
> customize the settings and makes a big difference in viewing
> text on a LCD.
>
> I just tell my users to get it from Microsoft and install it ;-)

ClearType is built into Windows XP; it's just not enabled by default. The
setting is in the Display control panel, Appearance tab, Effects button.
Microsoft's ClearType Tuner isn't required - but it is beneficial since it
lets you fine-tune the text appearance.

If you turn on ClearType, it takes effect for all browsers and all (or most)
applications. The only thing special about IE7 is that it overrides the
system's ClearType setting.

> Still not as good as a Mac, but a bit closer :-)

Funny thing... I do all my text editing on my ThinkPad instead of my Mac
because Windows text quality is so much better... But to each his or her
own. :-)

In any case, there is nothing you can do about this with CSS or any other
browser technology. Either the machine (or browser) has ClearType turned on
or it doesn't.

-Mike