Kathy Parmentier wrote:
> [...] When viewed using IE 6, the left sidebar content is gone on
> most landing pages.

> I would like to understand what is happening, and how to fix it.

Seems to be the old 'stacking bug' in IE/win.

Adding...
* html div#sidebar {position: relative; overflow-x: hidden;}
...will fix it.

> Also, will this show up in other browsers?  Do I need to code
> workarounds for any other browsers?

The 'stacking bug' is found in IE/win only - one or another variant in
all versions. Bug-variants are not all that well documented, and we tend
to just "kill 'em on sight" :-)

> http://wwwdev.uucpa.org/uucpa_new/html/main/home.html

You should also add...

html {font-size: 100%;}

...to "kill" the 'em font-resizing bug' in IE...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_13.html>

...and correct the side-padding on main content to...

div#page_main_content {padding: 3em 0 3em 48px;}

...so those pages can take a little font resizing in all browsers before
breaking. A mix of 'pixel width' and 'em side-paddings' will often
create problems with container-sizes.

regards
        Georg
--