Roger Goode wrote:

> http://coachingmosaic.com/debug/
>
> The page layout is built with a FLOAT: Right for the main content,
> and a FLOAT: Left for the navigation column to the left. There is
> a .clearer DIV just above the footer to CLEAR both floats.
>
> As the copy on this page moves below the simple navigation content
> and contact info, I wanted to have some callout quotes with a
> graphic bachkground that would break out of the content column and
> cross over the left FLOAT to span the whole page and break up the
> empty column.
>
> To accomplish this, I applied a class with a negative margin (-215px)
> to the paragrapgh that i want to break out. As noted, this works in
> all the browsers I tested on both Mac and PC platforms, EXCEPT for
> IE6. In IE6 the callout is cutoff at the left side of the content
> FLOAT.
[...]
> in a separate issue, I'm also having a problem with the
> margin at the top of the left FLOAT. The first line of the LINKS
> list is hidden from view in IE6

IE frequently clips content that is moved outside of its container through
negative margins [1]. I haven't looked at the details but both of your
problems seem to fall in this category. The usual fix is to add
position:relative to the clipped element, sometimes it's also necessary to
add hasLayout. Indeed adding position:relative to your UL inside sidenav,
and position:relative plus zoom:1 to your signup class  seems to solve the
problems.

hth,
Bruno

[1] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html#clip