It should validate fine; it's a perfectly legal construction.

One good reason for using it is to add specificity. div.home might be
defined elsewhere, and div#holder.home is far more specific and thus
will override it (thought I'd use other methods).

Also useful when you have lots of pages and need to keep things
separate. There's probably a <div id="holder" class="products">
elsewhere on the site.

I use something similar in that I have a container div that can have
two different display settings: advanced and basic. So I define a
bunch of stuff like:

div#question.basic .advanced_options {display:none;}
div#question.advanced .subquestion {color: red;}
etc.

james