Hi Ray,
I 've locally inspected the renderized code fragment you sent and it don't
shows the disappearing issue you asked for (both in IE and FFox)
The related bug seems to depend on the global context of the layout.
I'm afraid that nobody will be able to point out a solution without the
document hosted in a server for a closest look inside.
Don't forget to point out the browser(s)/OS  you noticed the bug.

MaurĂ­cio Samy Silva
http://www.maujor.com/