Robert Ginn wrote:

> I've been working in XHTML Strict, mostly for experience, but it doesn't
> like the <hr> tag, at least the "noshade" attribute.  I'd like this page
> to work in Strict, but am stuck on the noshade problem.  Without it, the
> hr's look strange---and without any hr's at all, half my design skills
> would be gone.  Is there a CSS element similar to the hr, or should I
> make this a Transitional page?

Perhaps you could:

1. Leave the <hr> tags alone, unstyled except for one thing in CSS: hide
them. When CSS is enabled, the HR isn't shown.

2. Get the desired "horizontal rule" effects you want using the border
of either the block element above or below it. Much more power, that
way, and much better across browsers.

--
David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]