I am having a problem with my dropdown menu. For each item in the
horizontal menu, I want the width of the link to be variable, based on
the width of the text, plus 12px padding on the right and left. This
works in Firefox, but in IE6, the width is the same for each item
(96px, I believe). What is it in my CSS that I have to change to make
it display correctly in IE?

Here is the page:
http://brookenelson.com/statescape/test/StateScape.html

Here is the CSS (the relevant section is under /* NEW HORIZONTAL NAV BAR */):
http://brookenelson.com/statescape/test/style.css

Here is the Firefox and IE screenshots compared:
http://brookenelson.com/statescape/test/screenshot1.jpg

This is the relevant CSS, but I have a feeling it's something else in
the CSS that is causing this, so please look at the full CSS linked
above:

.menu ul li {
float:left;
height:24px;
line-height:24px;
display:block;
}

.menu a, .menu a:visited {
display:block;
float:left;
height:100%;
font-family: verdana;
font-size:10px;
font-weight: bold;
text-decoration:none;
color:#ffffff;
background:#3D539C url("navbg.gif");
padding:0 12px;
margin: 0;
}

By the way, the menu is based on ones from here:
http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/index.html