On Fri, 18 May 2007, Mari Sysimies wrote:

> I have a problem. I use ADx-menu in the site I'm building. For some reason
> menu font size is smaller (too small) in Opera than in IE or Firefox.

There are similar font size differences elsewhere on the page as well.
Though they could naturally result from different basic font sizes in
different browsers, you have probably encountered the Opera bug or oddity
that it tends to round font sizes downward. The more calculations are
needed, the more probable it is that you get too small font sizes that
way.

> Body font size is set to 80% and class .menu ul font size is set to 0.95em.

It seems that for a typical base font size of 16px, this results in
different font sizes due to different rounding methods. Since you are
using fairly small font sizes already, the smallest sizes will easily
become almost unreadable. If you think that the font size needs to be
reduced from the user-selected value, a smaller reduction would thus be
less risky.

Your page seems to contain quite a many relative font size settings.
This involves several risks. You might end up with font sizes that are too
small for a large number of users, and typographically, there should not
be too many different font sizes, and then there's the rounding problem.
It's also easy to forget the _cumulative_ effects.