Paul Sommer wrote:

> I have a "simple" problem that I try to solve now for almost 3 weeks (not 8
> hours a day but
> long enough)
> Simple, because it is solves within 5 minutes when using tables, but it seems
> to be impossible
> to do it table free. Please proof me wrong. :-)
>
> The page consists of two columns. The left column should contain a menu and
> has a fixed width.
> the right column contains a table with data from a database. The user can
> choose, which information
> of the database he wants to see. So it is obvious that the table (ans thus
> the right column) has a
> variable width.
>
> Everything works fine until the outer div reaches the right edge of the
> browser window. Then the
> right column will be placed beneath the menu instead of right from it.

It's happening because as the table widens, the div containing it widens
- and the browser drops it when it won't fit in the window anymore. Can
you leave off the right column div - use margin or padding to move the
data table to right enough to clear the left column? Then, as the table
widens, the visitor should get just a horizontal scrollbar (which I
presume wouldn't bother them).

For this page, could you consider a design that puts the menu
horizontally above the table, thus giving your the full width of the
window to display the data table?

--
David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]