On 5/26/07, Martin Paton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've got a flash movie as a header in my three column container layout
> which I want to set overflow:hidden when the page is resized so it
> doesn't blow out of the side of the page.
>
> I've set "overflow:hidden" on all containers that the flash movie would
> push past - it works superbly in all IE versions, but not in
> Firefox/Opera/NS, etc...
>
> Is there a known problem with overflow:hidden?

No, but there is a philosophical argument about whether or not
embedded content should be allowed to interact with (and "passing
behind" the border of a container with overflow set is interacting the
host page, given that the standards state fairly clearly that they may
not interact when the embedded content is another html document. Hence
some browsers give embedded media an "infinite z-index". But, thanks
to the pushiness of advertisers, I think there is a workaround -
google for wmode transparent.

--
Richard Grevers, New Plymouth, New Zealand
Hat 1: Development Engineer, Webfarm Ltd.