CSS-d,

What I've ended up with isn't totally perfect, but it suits my needs.

By placing a space before the misbehaving* characters, they are moved
down to the next line. The space remains attached to the line before, so
it's not a visible part of the menu text.

The drawbacks to this are:

1. I'm changing the content slightly to meet the needs of design.

2. Punctuation doesn't line up right, so I've decided to simply not use
punctuation (which I can get away with easier in Japanese).

And almost a 3rd consideration is that the small Japanese characters
don't justify entirely accurately as they would with a true vertical
orientation. But they very close - close enough to pass, so while this
limitation is notable, it's not going to stop me in this instance.

I can get live with these limitations because the text in question is a
small menu that will be largely static and will contain terse text.

Thanks for the advice offered here. It helped push me towards the solution.

* The characters aren't actually "misbehaving", but are actually
behaving very correctly within guidelines of text flow set out in the
utf-8 standard. I only mean misbehaving relative to my current needs.

--
Dave M G
CSSed