From: Mauricio Samy Silva [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 4:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; css-d@lists.css-discuss.org
Subject: Re: [css-d] table class

Good point Mike.
You are mixing things.
Your logic fails because is applying 'markup rules' to 'CSS rules'.

In <table border="1"> [the old and deprecated way to apply borders] border
is assigned via an HTML * attribute* and must follow what the HTML Specs [1]
says:
The value "border" in the start tag of the TABLE element should be
interpreted as the value of the frame attribute. It implies rules="all" and
some default (non-zero) value for the border attribute.

In <h1>The headline <em>is</em> important!</h1> There isn't an attribute
border like <h1 border="1">...

So, borders are applied via CSS, and now the CSS Specs [2] must be followed.

'border'
      Value:   [ <'border-width'> || <'border-style'> || <color> ] | inherit
      Initial:   see individual properties
      Applies to:   all elements
      Inherited:   no
      Percentages:   N/A