> What's the most efficient way of doing image based tabs?
>
> First thing that comes to my mind are CSS sprites:
>
> http://alistapart.com/articles/sprites
>
> However, there are two approaches and I am not sure which one is best:
>
> 1. using one image for all the tab states 2. using one image per tab
> that contains all states for particular tab
>
> In either case it work but I am afraid that in case #1 the image will
> slow down the page load  - on the other hand loading 9 images for each

> of the tab is not fast either...
>
> Any ideas?

 ----------------------------

 At this year's @media Europe, Nate Koechley from Yahoo gave a talk on
 speeding up web pages and seemed to be of the opinion (and yahoo have
 done a lot of testing on this) that the fastest method is to include
 all tabs on one image and then use CSS for displaying/positioning them
 properly. You reduce http requests and one image containing all
 *should* be a smaller file size than 9 individual ones.

 http://developer.yahoo.net/blog/archives/2007/04/rule_1_make_few.html

 Close to being OT I think, but it is about using CSS to get them all
 set up properly.

 HTH,
 James