Thanks a lot for all your replies what a large topic but essential to
understand. I have been playing around with various percentages, medium, em for
sizes and I am still on the case and before I rewrite the design again,settling
at present for 100% for body text. However, even though I have avoided ems in
my present code it seems impossible to get IE to resize text. I know that IE
has a bug but I was told it would work with anything other than px. HereĀ“s the
offending css and a link to the page http://216.219.94.105/
  Thanks for any pointers in advance everyone

  html {padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; margin:
0px; padding-top: 0px}
ul {padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; margin: 0px;
padding-top: 0px}
ol {padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; margin: 0px;
padding-top: 0px}
body {padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background: #ffffff repeat-x 50%
top; padding-bottom: 0px; margin: 0px; font: 100% tahoma, arial, sans-serif;
color: #4d4d4d; padding-top: 0px}
img {border-top-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px;
border-right-width: 0px}
h1 {font-size: 19%}
h2 {font-size: 15%}
h3 {font-size: medium; font:tahoma, arial, sans-serif}
a {color: #7f99ae; text-decoration: none}
a:hover {text-decoration: underline}

Ed Seedhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  On 6/21/07, Shark Attack Design wrote:

> I wonder what proportion of web users ever bother to adjust the default
> text size of their browser(s)? The preset default size is generally 16
> (I think Safari is different?) although I'm not sure what the units are
> for that default -- pixels? Points?
>
> I think that most people, if they were browsing a site that didn't
> adjust the font size by CSS, would find that default size uncomfortably
> large. However, they never adjust their default setting because a) they
> don't even know that they can, and wouldn't know how to if they did, and
> b) the majority of sites these days make some effort to ramp the type
> down from 16 to something more 'designed' -- so the user may not even be
> aware how large their default setting is.

I think the point is that for such people the default size at least does not
annoy them so much as to drive them to learn how to change it! So going
with their default browser size at least won't offend them too badly, and
you don't know how they will react if you impose a size on them. In that
sense I argue that the browser default font size is the safest and least
likely to cause offense. And as we know if the page offends the user she is
likely to hit the home or back button and never return.

--
Ed Seedhouse

Need Mail bonding?