On 6/28/07, Christopher Blake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Happy Thursday,
>
> I have been working from a template and have a new site that I am
> quite happy with. However I just looked at it on a friend's IE laptop
> and it didn't look anywhere near as good. It was due to the screen
> resolution but when we looked at another site it appeared to be
> normal, which would make that site too small on my machine - but it's
> not.
>
> The long and short of it is I want to find a method so that the page
> can detect the users resolution and adjust the style sheet accordingly.
>
> Can anyone help? I anticipate a lot of answers telling me that I
> should be designing for the most commonly resolutions used, and valid
> as the argument is I want it to look the same across all. Does
> anybody have a useful link to adjustments in font size in relation to
> different screen resolutions? I don't mind using javascript so that
> the page can detect resolution - or is there another way?
>
> regards, C
>
> Christopher Blake
> www.3pointdesign.com
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hey, Christopher, you might want to use percentages and em-based units. For
example, define the container div as taking 80% (or whatever number) of the
browser window. You can likewise define the other divs in terms of
percentages (so a div inside the container would be defined as taking a
certain percentage of the container, not the browser window itself).

Having full support for min-width would come in handy here, as you wouldn't
want to your site to become super tiny, but that's the only CSS-driven
solution I can come up with. Try online resources for liquid layouts, unless
you want a fixed layout per screen resolution.

I hope this helps,
Josue