On 7/5/07, Martin Pistorius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The problem is I've now been asked if I can come up with a way to have
> all three liquid, but at the same time keep the basic look of the left
> and right columns being smaller than the middle one containing the
> content.  So I need sort of a jello type layout. I've done some Googling
> but haven't been able to find a way to do this, so my question is does
> anybody know how this can be done?
>
> Let me explain why the developers have ask me to look at this. The divs
> inside the wrapper which are floated left and right contain navigation,
> this is a dynamic multi lingual site and the problem we have when a user
> changes to one of the languages the names for the navigation links are
> particularly long and therefore break outside the divs containing the
> navigation. So somehow I need to come up with a way that when there is a
> long word the div will expand to accommodate it.
>
> I'd REALLY  appreciate any thoughts, ideas or suggestions on how I can
> come up with a solution for this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin Pistorius

As Ian says, a link would be helpful so we can make appropriate suggestions.
I know you can give the floated divs percentage or em widths, and that'll
make them all liquid while preserving a ratio. However, that probably
wouldn't solve your problem. It might be more practical to allow the links
to wrap (if they don't already) so they won't go past the parent element.
Otherwise, the narrow navigation divs would expand to a width that would
throw your design out of balance.

This is all conjecture, of course, since I don't know what your layout looks
like when all's well compared to when the links are too long.