On Jul 17, 2007, at 3:53 PM, Mark Henderson wrote:

>> As far as I can see, on Win IE border-collapse: collapse overrides
>> the
>> _default_ cellspacing. That is, if you set it and do not use the
>> cellspacing attribute in HTML markup, there is no spacing between
>> cells.
>>
>> Oddly enough, it does not override an _explicit_ cellspacing
>> attribute.
>
> A quick demo locally reveals you are correct (in IE 5.5/6/7). For some
> reason I had a recollection that cellspacing was still required for
> certain browsers, and then I found this in my bookmarks:
>
> http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/14032
>
> ...which is somewhat antiquated. At least my memory is still working!
> Sorry for the inaccurate information.

It is all a bit more complicated... in IE.
With no 'cellpsacing' attribute in the html, and using 'border-
collapse:collapse', AND painting equal borders on all sides of a
table-cell, IE works correctly.

But if you want different borders (thick at the bottom, thin on the
sides), or only a bottom border on certain cells, things can go wrong...
<http://dev.l-c-n.com/iExploder7/table-robert.html>
Look at the second table.
The ticker the border, the merrier the painting oddities.

(as an aside, the only more modern browser that doesn't support the
border-collapse property is IE Mac; and I seem to remember problems
in early versions of Safari, those that still run on OS X 10.2).

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com>