>I was wondering what is best<

You already know this could be a Ford vs. Chevy post, but here is what time
has taught me.  Unorganized is not the way to go.  It will cost you even
during the initial development if it isn't organized.  This is what shook
out from my experience:

A, I have one main style for the entire site.  Internally it is organized
by:
  1. Classes that apply to the entire page.
  2. Next the body and containing page.
  3. Next the individual areas that apply to each page such as header,
content, columns, footer.  They are arranged in the order of the page.  That
way I know if I want to change something in the footer main content.  In the
columns I have main1, main2, main3 based on if the page uses a 1 column, 2
column, or 3 column layout as the content will vary in width.  By handling
all of the elements in a certain area, you don't need to be concerned with
inheriting something from another area.
  4. At the bottom of the main css are the use everywhere styles such as
content wrappers etc.

B.  CSS horizontal and vertical navs and anything reusable are in separate
css files so you can just copy them to new sites.

C.  I have a whatever.css file and another one name whatever_ie.css and a
conditional comment in the top of each page.

I've learned it's too difficult to maintain by function and creative names.
If you have a color with a cute name that applies to multiple elements in
different areas on the site, you can never be sure what the impact will be.
Moreover, if you change say the color of a certain area, there are normally
other things that need to change as well such as text color etc.  Using my
method, you simply locate the area you want to change, and the elements will
all be there to remind you what all else might need to be changed or why
what you were contemplating doing isn't such a good idea after all.