-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Phillip Cavaco
Sent: 07 August 2007 20:23
To: css-d@lists.css-discuss.org
Subject: [css-d] Fwd: Image resize with CSS

Thanks a lot for helping.

So the best thing to do isn't resizing images on the client side (CSS) but
doing it on the server side I think.  Right?  Using something to accomplish
that task.

What do you suggest to do a resize on server side?  I use linux and PHP.

On 2007/08/07 18:01 (GMT+0100) Phillip Cavaco apparently typed:

> As a big photography enthusiastic I care a lot about photos quality in
> my websites.

I used to be a photographer. My sister still is professionally.
http://www.horsesites.com/r/

;
> 353x200 ; 450x738) for example.

> If I want to display them with 100px height maximum,

Why 100px? You don't know what size a px is (except those right in front of
your face). Here's a table showing how the size of px can vary:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/pixelsize.html

The problem is that different environments have different px density
displays. Here's a table of the most common densities:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/dpi.html

> Doing this the width will adjust proportional. But this way the image
> get bad dimensions sometimes. Maybe that's because the original sizes,
> i.e,
when
> readjusting width and the proportional height is a float number, when
> rounding it will make the distortion appear. I don't know if I was
> clear enough.

The problem is there is only so much that can be done when insufficient px
are available to do the job. A 400x600 image held to only 100x150 has a mere
6.25% of the original amount available to get the job done. That's a tough
order.

> - How do you guys deal with this situations?
> - Do you resize images manually to achive the best quality or is there
hat
> trick?

There are programs that attempt to optimize images for the web. The "trick"
is to find an acceptable balance between quality and bandwidth consumption.
Too large an image size means too long a download time for low bandwidth
users (still most users). Too small an image size shortchanges those with
the highest quality web surfing environment (high resolution, above
1280x1024 normal aspect, or 1280x800 widescreen) by making the image too
small to visually detect any purported high quality. This is a problem with
no good solution in traditional technology. For the future. SVG holds
promise of solution.
--
"   It is impossible to rightly govern the world without
God and the Bible."                    George Washington

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409