[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm currently working on a page which requires a background
> image to use as a surrounding border to content.  Within
> this box is another container which will have an image
> applied, and within that there will be 2 columns.
>
> In the example in the link below, I've used borders rather
> than background images to illustrate:
>
> http://www.phunkadelik.com/testbox.html
>
> In Firefox and older versions of IE, the bottom margins are present,
> however in IE7 it collapses despite having borders surrounding the
> containers.

As far as I know, this is a bug in IE7 (and IE6.) It frequently loses the
margin-bottom of floats when these are enclosed with any method which does
not use an explicit clearing element.

A solution, admittedly not very nice, could be the addition of two
one just before the closing </div> of "inside", and the other before the
closing tag of "container"

Another solution is to avoid the use of margin on the floats and use padding
on the containers instead: so, remove both "margin: 8px" and add "padding:
8px" to "container" and "inside". I don't know if this solution is
compatible with your final page.
There are probably also other possible rearrangements.

Hope this helps a little,
Bruno

--
Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test