> Hi,
>
> I'm working for a company in which the boss (who's originally from the
> print industry) insists on having equal line lengths in the browsers on
> different operating systems.
>
> So in an example text, "hello, i'm example text!", if the text is split to
> the following line at "example" on Firefox Windows, it must be split at
> "example" in Firefox Mac/Safari as well.
>
> On Windows, I had to resort to inserting manual line-breaks where the boss
> wants the split which are not honoured on Safari for example.
>
> How do you solve this technically, if at all? My reasoning that you cannot
> finally determine the user's operating system and settings is not
> acceptable for the boss.
>
> Please assume that influencing the line-length or font-size for the
> diferent operating systems is what needs to be solved. Please, no
> discussion how and why you should *not* influence it, that wouldn't help
> me. It's probably to do with resolution which differs between WIn and Mac
> OS, but I'm facing the situation as-is.

The most robust solution for you might be to use the HTML element
<pre> - which is intended to preserve whitespace and line breaks, and
to override its default monospace appearance with

pre {font-family:Arial, Helvetica, serif;} or something similar.

You should avoid making the container fixed-width (pre will overflow
the container by default if lines are too long) or specify the width
in ems.
Using a font-size as small as 62.5% will cause the layout to break
more quickly, as it hits people's minimum font settings or they need
to text zoom in order to read. It sounds as though your bosses'
browser is set to default fonts larger than he likes - that is where
things need to be fixed.
Also, <pre> gets a smaller font size by default in nearly every
browser (13pt vs 16pt, IIRC) so you would at least need to allow for
that.

--
Richard Grevers, New Plymouth, New Zealand
Dramatic Design www.dramatic.co.nz