Ross Hulford wrote:
> The problem is not that it uses 'id 'or 'name' but that it is empty.
> How do I use the haslayout property, like this? Does it validate?

Your example will neither work nor validate.

An empty element can be "spaced out" simply by adding 'width: (some
value)' and 'height: (some value)', and 'display: block' if necessary.
Not a good solution though, since it relies entirely on CSS support.
Also, some versions of IE tend to ignore empty anchors completely, no
matter what you do through CSS.

Normally this shouldn't be an issue, as the part one wants to link to
must surely contain /something/ if it should be worth linking to.
Linking to a place that contains /nothing/ doesn't sound realistic.

Adding an 'id' to, or using an existing 'id' on, a container-div,
paragraph or whatever element contains what one wants to link to, is how
it's done in all cases I can think of. No browser that I know of should
have a problem with that.

regards
        Georg
--