Hi Eric and all,

Eric A. Meyer wrote:
> In this form, you can choose one keyword from each list of three,
> plus you can put the two words in any order AND you only have to pick
> one of the two (all that is what the '||' between the lines means).
>     So you can validly say '5% top', but not 'top 5%'.  For that
> matter, you can say '0 top' but not 'top 0', even though the
> functionally equivalent 'top left' is perfectly fine.
>     Bonus fun fact: as with an omitted vertical value in the first
> value form discussed, if you only use one keyword in the second form,
> the missing one is assumed to be 'center'.  So 'top' is equivalent to
> 'top center' (and 'center top'), and 'left' is equivalent to 'left
> center' (and 'center left').

I was in the process of writing-up some inline CSS comments for my
latest project, and I wanted to clarify/confirm a couple things about
background positioning:

1. TRUE or FALSE:
If you use a keyword for the horizontal value, and omit the vertical,
the default vertical value is assumed to be "center".

-- Note: The specs say 0% 0% is the initial value.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-CSS21-20070719/colors.html#propdef-background-position>

2. TRUE or FALSE:
For background positioning, the horizontal position must come first if
one of the values is not a keyword.

3. TRUE or FALSE:
If both values are keywords, the horizontal value *must* come first. Or
is this just a matter preference and/or good coding practice?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... I just wanted to make sure my
paraphrased comments are concise and correct.

Many TIA!
Cheers,
Micky

--