Stuart King wrote:
> http://www.phiferpavittwine.com/pages/tasting.htm

> Menu vertical right border separating the about & wine and Mailing
> list & contact extends below the bottom of the menu text and into the
>  body text ( ) on some systems, including the one listed above.

IE6 doesn't respect any declared dimensions. If the content takes up too
much space, IE6 will expand its container.

The content is mainly too large in that part of the page because of IE6'
"white-space bug" is affecting the "links in lists" construction.
This can be cured by adding a 'hasLayout' trigger to the links...

#left_corner a, #right_corner a {height: 1%;}

...which will improve things.

> It ends flush with the base line of the second line of text on my mac
>  (safari, firefox and opera)

Not anywhere near such a line-up in any of my browsers. Font size can't
be relied upon for accurate spacing of anything on a web page, and my
browsers respect a 'minimum font size' larger than what you have declared.

The use of absolute positioning and fixed dimensions for main parts of
your pages, makes dis-alignment and overlapping inevitable if/when they
are subjected to any degree of font resizing in any browser.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no